Friday 21 December 2012

Yummy potato recipe for the festive period


Cranberry Crumble Dauphinoise

4 Tbsps olive oil
2 red onions
250g mushrooms, wiped and chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
150ml dry white wine
2 Tbsps fresh thyme leaves
4 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
200g Dolcelatte cheese, roughly chopped
1 red apple, cored and sliced
600ml double cream
100g fresh breadcrumbs
150g fresh cranberries
50g pine nuts
1 Tbsp freshly chopped sage leaves
1 kg potatoes peeled and thinly sliced

1.    Preheat oven to 180 C / 350F/gas mark4. Heat 2 Tbsps of oil in frying pan and fry onion for 5 mins till soft. Add mushrooms and pepper and cook for 5 mins. Pour in wine and cook for 10 mins until liquid has almost evaporated.  Stir in thyme and set aside.
2.    Boil potato slices for 3 mins, then drain and rinse in cold water. Layer half potatoes and garlic in a greased 2 L deep ovenproof dish.  Season. Spoon in mushroom mixture and half cheese. Top with remaining potato, garlic and cheese, finishing with apple slices.  Season. Pour over cream. Bake for 1 hr or until potatoes are just tender.
3.    Mix remaining oil, breadcrumbs, cranberries, pine nuts and sage, and sprinkle on top. Bake for 30 mins or until golden.  Serve with buttered green beans and cranberry sauce.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Square Sparrow and hello to all your animals :-)

    This recipe sounds delicious. I was wondering if you’d like to enter this recipe into our Gourmandize Giveaway recipe competition. This month the theme is apples so it would be perfect, and there are nice prizes to win – let me know what you think:

    http://www.gourmandize.co.uk/article-1-recipe-competition-for-the-best-apple-recipe.htm

    Regards,

    Laurence

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laurence, Many thanks for your message (and I shall pass your kind regards on to the animals!). I have to be honest and say that I inherited this recipe from a good friend who is a keen cook, so I'm not sure if that would count for your competition, as I didn't make it up myself! Let me know either way, and I'll enter it if I'm allowed :-)

    ReplyDelete